[ale] [Fwd: Re: Vote Today - Message from Marie

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Nov 5 12:06:13 EST 2002

Pete Hardie wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> I doubt it, it's certainly not intuitive, at least thus far.  You have
>> the option to review your ballot before you cast it anyway.
>

> The litte that I've read about user interfaces is that confirmation
> dialogs are not followed that well - people tend to skim/skip them -
> remember the early Windows "Are you sure?" dialogs that never seemed to
> end?  So I'd wager that the deselect is intentional - it also serves to
> preserve the 'instinctual' voting urge, since people who are less
> persistent will not change their vote if in error.

Who said anything about confirmation dialogs?  When you get done voting
you review all your choices.  Confirmation dialogs would popup for each
selection, which certainly would have caused the death of many a
innocent bystander.

I admit, I scanned the directions, but I did not see anything about
'deselect.'  I'm sure it was intentional, but it's stupid.  People are
used to having a set of options, selecting one, changing their mind and
selecting another.  As others' noted, think radio button.  That solution
is certainly more prevelant then any 'push me again, if you made a mistake.'

> On nice thing was the absence of a 'straight party ticket'.  No more
> letting the party slip something in under the noses of the voters -
> every voter had to explicitly select/skip each issue.

Anyone that votes straight party should not be permitted to vote...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net