[ale] .NET

Dana Powers dana at slothlovechunk.org
Mon Nov 4 09:45:02 EST 2002

> On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 08:39, Geoffrey wrote:
> Actually I think Perl is actually compiled to machine code on the
fly
> not byte code compiled. Don't quote me on that, because I most
likely
> might be wrong. I'm just getting started in Perl. :)

Perl is a bytecode compiler and a bytecode interpreter, although in
version 5 they are not as abstracted as languages like java, so it may
appear that code is compiled directly into machine code (ie. the perl
bytecode is so perl-centric, its unusable by anything else). One of
the Perl 6 goals is to separate the two clearly, like java or MS's
C#/CRE, so that other languages could be compiled into perl's bytecode
vm ( which is called Parrot ). Im not sure if they plan on having
cross-language calling features, though. Anyways, perl = bytecode.

dpk