[ale] .NET

Eric Anderson eric.anderson at cordata.net
Fri Nov 1 16:52:02 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 15:39, Geoffrey wrote:
> What, you thought Microsoft came up with something original?  Hardly.
>
> Netscape > IE
> Java > activeX
> Javascript > vbscript

I believe the line goes "there is nothing new under the sun".

What is new these days? Do we really want something new and radically
different? I don't. I want to take what is already known to be good and
improve it. That way I have some reasonable expectation that it will be
somewhat successful. Taking your example:

Mosiac > Netscape

Smalltalk/C++ > Java

Emacs Lisp (or any small scripting language embedded in a app) >
Javascript

There is nothing new out there. If you think you know of some technology
that is new just post it to the list. I'm sure someone can tell you what
previous idea it is based on.

--
Eric Anderson