[ale] Hard Drive Froze

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Fri May 31 23:02:06 EDT 2002

Hey all,

This is a new one on me and I don't know where to even really start. I
have a win 98 machine at home that I had freeze up on me Thursday night. I
was browing a site and when I clicked on a link the machine came to a
stand still.

Anyway, everytime I try to reboot it does nothing, the hard drive is
frozen. It doesn't make a sound. In ignorance and desperation I tried
removing all the cards(sound, nic, etc..) and the motherboard battery then
trying to restart again, hoping that it was an IRQ problem. Still no such
luck.

I'm not sure where to start to troubleshoot this and I don't want to just
start "throwing" parts at it. I would like to learn from this. Thanks for
your help in advance, this list rocks.

P.S. - I'm actually not to suprised that this happened because this hard
drive was purchased in 1999 and has basically the original install on it.
I'm glad that it lasted this long. It's a 6.4 gig Western Digital.

Thanks,

=====
Kevin Stoll
http://kevinstoll.org