[ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Windows XP doesn't like to share with Linux]

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu May 30 07:50:28 EDT 2002

And just to be clear, I was able to install WinXP Pro and Red Hat Linux as a
dual-bootable recently. The WinXP Pro media was the Microsoft OEM CD-ROM
specifically sold by the "small-fry" shops that typically use off-the-shelf
hardware to build their systems.

The OEM CD I had booted off the CD-ROM drive. It specifically gave me a
choice as to how much space I wanted to allocate for space, and didn't
attempt to quash any "unknown" (i.e., ext3 or Linux swap) partitions.

One thing I did notice, however ... IIRC, the installer would only let me
install XP Pro over an NTFS partition. This made it unreadable from my
production Linux kernel (built by Red Hat). Stock kernels do have
experimental read-only support for NTFS. Also, XP Home allows FAT32-based
installation (but doesn't have an IIS service option like XP Pro).