[ale] Need Advise

Enrique Nieves spanfax at charter.net
Fri May 24 20:12:38 EDT 2002

Hi everyone, I'm new to the list, so forgive me if
this is not the correct forum for my question.  I'm a newbie to Linux,
and enjoying the freedom from Microsoft.

I just installed Mandrake 8.1 in my old PC
(Acer Aspire) AMD K6, 233 Mhz, 128 RAM, 6 gig hard drive.  Everything is
working great, except for the modem (. . . it's not a Winmodem).  The
entire machine is running on Linux (Mandrake 8.1).  I
took out entirely the previous OS, Windows 98.

I'm getting a "modem is busy"
signal, every time.

The phone line is working, and the modem is
new.  The modem is a U.S. Robotics 56K, PCI,
V90/V92, internal, model 5610B.  It is advertised as Linux
compatible.

So far I've tried the following:

1-checked the true address of the serial port by
comparing what I see with the command lspci and setserial. Both addresses are
the same.

2-Checked the IRQ, and it's the correct
one

3-Checked BIOS and disabled
plug-n-play.

4-re-installed Mandrake

5-moved the card to another PCI slot

I'm running out of options, and would appreciate
any advise.

Thanks,

EN