[ale] open source wars at DOD

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 15:04:05 EDT 2002

Pete Hardie wrote:

> "Michael D. Hirsch" wrote:
> > That is a justification for paying money for software, not for closing
> > the source.  The two are not the same.  If you pay money for software,
> > you have a right to expect good service, regardless of whether the
> > source is open.
>
> Unless I'm the first customer, any open source program had better not cost me
> money for the program.  The main problem with open source is that the
> original developer cannot make money except to the first customer - everyone
> else
> can get that program for free after it is written.

That is entirely dependent upon the licensing terms under which
the software is released. "Open-source" != "Free software".
Many open-source products are free for individual or educational
use, but require payment to the developer for commercial
use. MySQL is a good example.

Sure, you *can* use the code in a commercial product, just
like you *can* install your single-license copy of Win2000
on twelve different computers. However, most people (I
believe) will follow the rules most of the time, especially
when dealing with a vendor who plays nice.

Cheers,

-- Joe
   "Thanks to Microsoft, I am now blind in both eyes. They have
    rolled back in my head so many times this week that they
    are apparently stuck there now."
      - Jonathan Rickman, regarding M$ anti-open-source PR.