[ale] open source wars at DOD

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at dvsg.sciatl.com
Fri May 24 14:14:23 EDT 2002

"Jerry Z. Yu" wrote:

>         response to support calls depends on how much $$$ you pay for that
> support, not depends on the code being closed-source or not.  Many
> support vendors (could be different from the software/app vendors) charge premium for
> speedier support (does this ring a bell: platium, gold, silver service
> contract). If you pay for that dedicated customer support guy, you might
> as well pay for a in-house software/systems engineer to master the code,
> if that piece of code is so critical to your business...

My point is that few, if any, open source projects are the bread&butter of the
developers,
so there is not a toll-free phone number to call for support.  In some cases,
there
isn't even a valid email address.

>         If answers to your support request is delayed (or never) or
> speedy but not to your satisfaction, you don't have a thing to go on with
> closed-source vendor besides draging them to court. With open-source, you
> can at least hire a 3rd-party consultant to look into the code for you, if
> you don't want to pick up books like java-in-24-hours...

Actually, you can get this with closed source, if you buy the source code.
--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
    posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.