[ale] Maxtor >160 gig drives

Luis Luna luis at btr-architects.com
Tue May 21 17:16:20 EDT 2002

Hi,
Has anyone used one of the newer Maxtor 160 gig harddrives work under
Linux? The system is PIII 550 w/ Redhat 6.2. It is running a very stable
samba setup so I don't want to re-compile kernel, add to source
anything. I just want to drop it in, fdisk/format and go.
	I know they have a driver for windows, just drop it in, install
driver, reboot and format.
	Any ideas? Thanks for any help. I know that a promise or siig
controller card might be needed but the maxtor site has little in the
way of linux, the promise site has little info on linux, the siig is
where it stated a re-compile etc..
Thanks again

Luis Luna