[ale] robots

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 21 14:32:37 EDT 2002

> Byron A Jeff wrote:
>
> > point that it'll be much simpler than my current problems. Here are some of
> > the issues I have on the table with my current project: a useful robotic
> > lawnmower:
>
> Gee, why didn't you go with something like a robotic meat cleaver, at
> least then damage would be confined to a single building..

Safety is at the top of my list. I'm planning on using it in a secured
enclosed yard that will idle the unit at the slightest detection of
movement. The cutting blade is only 9 inches and will be located under the
bot. Someone will have to work real hard to get to the dangerous stuff.
That's why teenagers are the most dangerous. They think it would be funny
to hop a fence, approach a dangerous item and see what it does. My hope is
that if it does absolutely nothing when approached, that it'll fail to
be interesting.

> So, the real question is, how far along are you?  Is it using embedded
> Linux, or some other OS?

Like I said in my post, I'm not even thinking about the brains right now.
It'll be microcontroller controlled though, as I have a couple of dozen
varieties of PIC controllers and the software expertise to make them sing.

Since it's a single purpose real-time system, there really isn't a need to
carry an OS infrastructure.

I'm still doing component testing. The drive motor system works OK in my
prototype wooden frame. I'll have to see how well it does once the gas
powered generator is mounted. The cutting motor certainly cuts grass using
a 9 inch edger blade. However the cuttings gets wrapped up in the motor, so
a shield is the next priority.

As for the power system, I have the alternator and the battery, but I'm
looking for a cheap working lawnmower engine. Free would be perfect.

BAJ