[ale] IT moving offshore (Getting OT)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue May 21 10:00:43 EDT 2002

sangell at nan.net wrote:

 > I just do not
> see people having the patience to put up with this. Especially when you
> consider that by the time most individuals get around to calling tech
> support they are usually already pissed off.

The biggest problem with this issue is, people just put up with it.
That's why there's no such thing as customer service anymore.  People
are either too busy or too stupid to deal with it.  Who want's to sit on
hold for an hour?  It all started with the onset of the home computer.
I can recall calling support for my first PC, and hearing a message
telling me I would be on hold for 57 minutes.  I thought it was a
mistake, until I hungup 45 minutes late.

Think about it, who among us has not seen hold times expload
exponentially?  And what then?  Either you hang up, or you get to
someone who doesn't provide any reasonable support.  Outside of Disney,
there is no customer support any longer.  I've been hungup on by utility
companies and health care companies in the past 6 months.  I had to
contact the PSC in order to get an agreed to rate on my gas bill with GA
natural gas.  I had a bloody letter with the specific rate, yet that
wasn't good enough for GA natural gas.  You can't buy a decent home in
the state of Georgia.  I contacted a number of plumbers to get a gas
line run for a gas dryer, 3 told me it'd be cheaper to buy a new
electric dryer.  Companies have so much business they don't have to
please the customer.  As far as I'm concerned, we have to deal with all
kinds of monopolies, or some sort of collusive agreements.  Microsoft,
natural gas, automobile fuel, utilities of all kinds.

The other issue is, the timezone thing.  When folks in the states need
help, it's day time hear, God knows what time it is at the support
location.  As one who worked 2nd and 3rd shifts for 6 years, I can tell
you folks are just not as productive in those scenarios, I don't care
who you are.  Particularily in a 3rd shift timeframe.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net