[ale] ssh-agent processes

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun May 19 20:53:42 EDT 2002

I think you need to look hard at the configuration of ssh-agent. Also
look at creation times for those files. The should correpond to logins
on the machine. If you have had several X crashes (nautilus is flakey
around the edges sometimes), that may leave dangling ssh-agent processes
lying around.

It shouldn't hurt to "kill -9 ssh-agent". At worst you'll need to
reformat all the drives and reinstall from scratch.

Just kidding!!

Really at worst, if you are the only person on the box and you log out
of X and drop to a root shell, killing all ssh-agent processes is no
problem.

Look and see who owns those process. (ps aux |grep ssh-agent). If it's
all owned by your login, modify your [xgk]dm logon script to kill off
any stale ssh-agent process owned by the login id.

Also, look at upgrading (or down-grading) openssh. It should be handling
all this better so it may be a bug.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>