[ale] irq conflict?

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Sat May 18 11:33:27 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm having trouble running down some irq (I think) conflicts on an old
system.

I have an old p5-200 mb (not sure which brand, don't care to open it up
*again* just now).  I've got

pci uhci usb controller
sb16 (old) soundcard
3c509b isa nic
Adaptec 2940uw pci scsi controller

Linux says my interrupts (/proc/interrupts) are

  0	timer
  1	keyboard
  2	cascade
  7	soundblaster
  9	eth0
  11	aic7xxx
  12	ps/2 mouse
  13	fpu
  14	ide0

But, the soundblaster will only work on irq 7 and I can't seem to make
the nic work on 9 or 10.  I've disabled pnp on the nic using the
3c5x9cfg utility.  I've tried about every other irq I can think of on
the card, and two or three work, but only at the expense of either the
soundcard and/or the usb controller.  right now, forexample, i get sound
but no nic or usb controller.  So, is there a way in the bios I can
rearrange things or free up irqs?

TIA

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net