[ale] POP3 at home?

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Tue May 14 20:56:20 EDT 2002

> Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something about email delivery
> here:
>
> I want to set up a POP3 server on my Linux router.  My plan is to give
> myself a few addresses at my dyndns domain and never have to change them
> no matter what ISP I'm stuck with.

You'll need an SMTP server like Sendmail, Qmail or Postfix to handle incoming
mail to your domain.  Speaking of which, you'll need to setup an MX record in
your dyndns domain pointing at your dynamic IP address.

You'd probably still want to install the POP3/IMAP server on the same machine to
allow clients to get their mail from other machines.

> I'd like to be able to set up
> filters to redirect mail to different accounts, drop or reject
> misaddressed mail, and most importantly, track the distribution of
> disposable addresses.  In other words, see who is selling my address to
> whom.

Procmail.  You can setup global filtering rules, plus individual user/account
rules.  There are even several procmail based Spam filters available (I use
SpamBouncer - http://www.spambouncer.org/).  Fortunately, or unfortunately
depending on how you look at it, Procmail recipes can be very complex.  There
are a bunch of resources available.  I'd start here:

http://www.procmail.org/

or the mini-FAQ:

http://www.iki.fi/era/procmail/mini-faq.html

or here: