[ale] resuming transfers after disconnect

John LaPierre jjlapierre at knology.net
Mon May 13 18:37:16 EDT 2002

> You might also a download accelerator/manager.  I used proz (Prozilla) last night to grab the 7.3 iso's.  Downloader for X (d4x) has a nice gui.

I'd never heard of this before, so I downloaded it and gave it a test
run.

I tested it by downloading a file from www.linuxiso.org

Without ProZilla my d/l speed hovered at 125 KB/s.
With ProZilla - 182 KB/s.
Not 2 or 3 times the speed, but significantly faster, and I can resume
after an unexpected disconnect. Also, I can add multiple D/L sites to
speed it up. Without any configuration on my part, ProZilla
automatically picked up the GaTech ftp site as my fastest option and
went there to retrieve my test file.

Very nice.

John L