[ale] vmware and W2K v. WXP

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat May 11 00:50:23 EDT 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Jeff, et. al.,
>
> The best example I have is this:
>
> Intuit's Quickbooks pro 2000 was written for W2K. If it is installed
> into XP pro workstation, the user at the console must have admin rights
> for the application to be able to write to the database. Remote users
> don't have to have this elevated privilege level.
>
> So I go to change the "user" level to "power user". It's not there!
> There are only two access levels: administrator and user. So do I give
> administrator rights to the part-time bookkeeper or tell the company
> they have to fork out _another_ $500 to upgrade to Quickbooks XP.

Actually, the user levels are still there.  Just not under the Control Panel interface.

Right click on the "My Computer" icon.  Select "Manage" on the drop down menu. A new windows will open.
Select "Local Users and Groups" under "System Tools".  You see "Users" and "Groups" on the right hand pane.  "Groups" still lists "Power Users" and other similar things found in NT4/2K.
Selecting "Properties" for a User will allow you to add groups it ca be a "Member Of".
Selecting "Properties" for a Group will allow you to add Users as members.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith