[ale] vmware and W2K v. WXP

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri May 10 19:36:42 EDT 2002

>From what I have seen on the mailing list archive for sql-ledger, there

are several accountants who are happy with it. These are accountants,
not QB accountants. It looks a lot more like the bookkeeping system a
large (I mean _large_  200+ people) organization could use.

It is based on a real database like Oracle or PostgreSQL. MySQL (current
version) won't work. It is accessed through a browser so it also needs a
web server. It is very flexible as to the access rights for users. It
can be run from an SSL enabled web server. The print forms are HTML, so
some CSS work could provide great output. It handles inventory, payroll,
and everything else I could think of. It can even email invoices. For a
nominal fee, support other than the mailing lists can be obtained.

In short, it is a excellent contender for replacing Quickbooks. To be
fair, QB is really smothered over with eye candy. That hides the
underlying layer of "blech! bookkeeping! phooey!". Sql-ledger doesn't
gloss over any of that. I've been using GNU-cash for over a year now and
I'm going to switch over to sql-ledger in the next month or so. Gnu-cash
doesn't come with any chart of accounts so one must know accounting to
get started. Also, it is really geared to import in Quicken (not
QuickBooks) data. It is more of a personal accounting.

With sql-ledger being a browser based app (which looks good under any
browser, not just IE :) a firms accountant can do the remote access to
the secure web site and get a report any time they want to. And the web
server will log the access and so will the database for the sql-ledger.

There are some bells and whistles that I have used in Quicken that I
would like in sql-ledger (and Gnucash). Main one is the cash flow
projection graph. The day before my calendar turns red, I know I need to
be making a deposit!