[ale] Make

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 9 12:30:37 EDT 2002

> tom hawks wrote:
>
> I have a question, I am using my freinds Redhat 6.2 and I want to
> update his kernel. When I type make menuconfig or xconfig, I get:
>
> make: ***No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop.
>

> I now it it something stupid I am overlooking, but I cant think of it.
> Any help?

You must (a) unpack the kernel source and (b) cd into
the top-level kernel source directory, before attempting
"make menuconfig". So:

> cd /usr/src
# Save the existing kernel sources, if any...
> mv linux linux.old
# Unpack new sources; this will create the ./linux dir.
> tar xzvf linux-2.4.18.tgz
> cd linux
> make menuconfig

ought to work.

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.