[ale] Starting up PHP

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu May 9 09:15:45 EDT 2002

I have had PHP for awhile. I tried using some RPM installations and absolutely
hated it. But the worst is trying to go half and half, with one component
compiled locally and the other installed by RPM. So, I am a great advocate of
compiling everything yourself. As usual, you have more control over what
components are activated and so on. There is a tool that will automate it for
you if you like at:

http://www.apachetoolbox.com

It works pretty well, but may gag on some modules. You can be very granular
about what gets activated and what doesn't. But if you go through the whole
process, I think you will be much happier with the result. When you are
installing a single application, RPM is great. But when you are installing a
suite of applications that have to be aware of each other, I think it
generally sucks.