[ale] SCSI CD-ROM under Mandrake 8.1

Michael D. Hirsch mdhirsch at mail.com
Wed May 8 21:51:25 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs writes:
 > After doing a Mandrake 8.1 install on an all-SCSI machine, the SCSI
 > CD-ROM drive doesn't seem to be available.  This has also affected me on
 > recent Red Hat installs.  Is there a straightforward fix that will also
 > make sure it's available after a reboot?
 >
 > I suspect that a kernel config/compile is needed to specifically enable
 > SCSI CD support and I'm already working that angle, but is there a
 > modification to /dev that also needs doing?

I doubt it.  Since it found it at install time, it seems very unlikely
that it isn't supported in the default kernel, too.  It may be that
for some reason it did not find the right scsi driver to load.

I would start by running "harddrake" and see what it says.  Does it
list any CD-ROMs?  Any SCSI devices?

--Michael