[ale] Apache 2.0/PHP seg faults?

jb at sourceillustrated.com jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue May 7 03:32:09 EDT 2002

I've been trying to get 2.0 and php working with no success.  I actually
have it working on a debian box, but am trying to get it going on my gentoo
box.  No luck.  I've even tried copying conf and php.ini files between boxes.

The problem is the same with Apache 2.0.35 and 2.0.36 using php 4.2.0.
Everything compiles and installs successfully.  When I run it with
./apachectl start, it says it started successfully.  However, it dies almost
immediately after starting with no error messages to stderr or to error_log:

./apachectl start
httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
127.0.0.1 for ServerName
./apachectl start: httpd started

$ ps -ef | grep httpd
<nothing>

To get an idea of what might be happening, I ran:

httpd -X -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

Segmentation fault

Error code is set to 139.

A little more investigation led me to comment out the following line from
httpd.conf:

LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so

After removing the line, apache starts up just fine.  So, the problem seems
to be with the PHP installation.

I've tried recompiling php with various configuration parameters to no
avail.  I've verified php.ini.  At this point, I'm close to rolling back to
1.3, but thought I'd see if anyone else out there is having similar troubles.

Thanks,
John