[ale] Routing question (newbie alert!!)

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon May 6 15:54:27 EDT 2002

Charles Marcus wrote:

> OK, I've never done anything with routing before, but now have a need.
>
> Here's what I am trying to do:
>
> 1) I am working on a Server for a remote office.  I need internet connectivity
> on that Server, but I also need it set up as a DHCP server.
>
> 2) I already have a DHCP server on our internal LAN.
>
> 3) I want to configure the Server I am working on as its own router, so it can
> access the internet, but the DHCP server is bound to the IP address that is
> *not* on our internal LAN.
>
> I figured out how to add a second IP address to my NIC, now I need to set up
> the routing table.
>
> Man pages have always been almost totally useless to me for purposes of
> determining proper syntax of the route add command, so, does anyone have any
> plain english How-tos for how to add a route so that:
>
> New Server Network (192.168.1) IP requests are forwarded to our default
> gateway on the internal LAN (192.168.0.1)?

The DHCP stuff shouldn't matter, as DHCP is not an IP
protocol (hosts participating in a DHCP dialog presumably
don't yet have an IP address.) DHCP conversations travel
in raw Ethernet frames without an IP header.

To get Server's traffic to go to your default gateway,
just setting Server's default route to 192.168.0.1 should
work:

route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1

But I suspect that I'm misinterpreting your need. Can
you do an ASCII-art network diagram for us?

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.