[ale] Routing question (newbie alert!!)

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon May 6 15:14:01 EDT 2002

OK, I've never done anything with routing before, but now have a need.

Here's what I am trying to do:

1) I am working on a Server for a remote office.  I need internet connectivity
on that Server, but I also need it set up as a DHCP server.

2) I already have a DHCP server on our internal LAN.

3) I want to configure the Server I am working on as its own router, so it can
access the internet, but the DHCP server is bound to the IP address that is
*not* on our internal LAN.

I figured out how to add a second IP address to my NIC, now I need to set up
the routing table.

Man pages have always been almost totally useless to me for purposes of
determining proper syntax of the route add command, so, does anyone have any
plain english How-tos for how to add a route so that:

New Server Network (192.168.1) IP requests are forwarded to our default
gateway on the internal LAN (192.168.0.1)?

Thanks for any tips...

Charles