[ale] on bootup RH7.2 gets to 'LI' and stalls, but will bootup/run fine from emerg. floppy..........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Sat May 4 22:20:24 EDT 2002

I've installed RedHat 7.2 twice today and the first time used fdisk and
since that hung.....next, I let RH7.2 'auto' partition, expecting that
might cure whatever error there was in my way. No way.

I'm using a 9Gig, brand new, Fujitsu, LVD drive with a DPT 2144UW
controller. I also tried it with a Tekram 390F, with the same result.

I've read some LILO docs and mentioned is a possible disk geometry
problem. Any ideas.............

Also I was wondering if anyone had had an experience which required that
a drive be first formatted with their controller before they could get a
clean boot. I just connected it to the controller and started trying to
install. It's such a laborious/time consumer I hate to waste any energy
on guessing.

When I run /sbin/lilo I get an output message that............
	Warning: /dev/sda1 is not on the first disk
I'm sure this is clear to someone as to what's going on, but not me.

All help appreciated,
Courtney