[ale] process confusion

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri May 3 09:18:31 EDT 2002

Last night, I rebooted my computer. I went to restart some services. First, I
started MySQL. No problem there. Then I went to start Apache with:

apachectl startssl

I got a message saying that httpd was already present under pid 1120. I knew I
hadn't started it, because I have to enter a pass phrase to start SSL. So, I
ran:

ps aux | grep http

There was nothing there. Next, I ran:

ps aux | grep 1120

There was pid 1120, but it belonged to mysql! How is it possible for the
system to be confused about who owns the process and what it is?