[ale] TERM=linux and vim on Debian potato/woody

Allan Neal allankneal at myrealbox.com
Thu May 2 22:41:52 EDT 2002

I have partially upgraded my potato installation to woody and have
recently tried TERM=-linux in Eterm 0.9.1.  Everything works except Vim
6.0.270.  The vi editor is completly useless, I can't get into insert
mode or quit.  I have to background the process and kill it with a kill
-9.

I have attached my system wide vimrc file.  This may be messing it up, I
don't know.

Does anyone have any ideas.  I use a transparent background and the
TERM=linux highlighting is easer to read than xterm.

Allan

" Configuration file for vim

" Normally we use vim-extensions. If you want true vi-compatibility
" remove change the following statements
set nocompatible	" Use Vim defaults (much better!)
set backspace=2		" allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
" Now we set some defaults for the editor
set autoindent		" always set autoindenting on
set textwidth=0		" Don't wrap words by default
set nobackup		" Don't keep a backup file
set viminfo='20,\"50	" read/write a .viminfo file, don't store more than
			" 50 lines of registers
set history=50		" keep 50 lines of command line history
set ruler		" show the cursor position all the time

" Suffixes that get lower priority when doing tab completion for filenames.
" These are files we are not likely to want to edit or read.
set suffixes=.bak,~,.swp,.o,.info,.aux,.log,.dvi,.bbl,.blg,.brf,.cb,.ind,.idx,.ilg,.inx,.out,.toc

" We know xterm-debian is a color terminal
if &term =~ "xterm-debian" || &term =~ "xterm-xfree86"
  set t_Co=16
  set t_Sf=[3%dm
  set t_Sb=[4%dm
endif

" Make p in Visual mode replace the selected text with the "" register.
vnoremap p <Esc>:let current_reg = @"<CR>gvdi<C-R>=current_reg<CR><Esc>

" Vim5 and later versions support syntax highlighting. Uncommenting the next
" 3 lines enables syntax highlighting by default.
if has("syntax") && &t_Co > 2
  syntax on
endif

" Debian uses compressed helpfiles. We must inform vim that the main
" helpfiles is compressed. Other helpfiles are stated in the tags-file.
set helpfile=$VIMRUNTIME/doc/help.txt.gz

if has("autocmd")
 " Enabled file type detection
 " Use the default filetype settings. If you also want to load indent files
 " to automatically do language-dependent indenting add 'indent' as well.
 filetype plugin on

endif " has ("autocmd")

" Some Debian-specific things
augroup filetype
  au BufRead reportbug.*		set ft=mail
  au BufRead reportbug-*		set ft=mail
augroup END

" The following are commented out as they cause vim to behave a lot
" different from regular vi. They are highly recommended though.
"set showcmd		" Show (partial) command in status line.
"set showmatch		" Show matching brackets.
"set ignorecase		" Do case insensitive matching
"set incsearch		" Incremental search
"set autowrite		" Automatically save before commands like :next and :make
--
Allan Neal
allankneal at myrealbox.com
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for human stupidity"

 PGP signature