[ale] the truth about contracting?

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu May 2 17:23:58 EDT 2002

Fellow hangers-on -

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Transam wrote:

> > It's FAR easier to get a job if you already have one.  Why?  Because the
> > interviewers will assume that the less desirable people get laid off first.
> > Thus, if you got laid off ...

> > If your employer closed their doors you're in a slightly better position
> > but there are virtually no openings anywhere in Atlanta.  Elsewhere in the
> > country is even worse.  I follow this stuff and it's BAD BAD BAD!!!

> It *IS* "BAD BAD BAD."  At the moment, I'm having my best luck (calls
> about in-person and phone interviews) from the many, many Government
> positions I've applied to.  In the past two months, I've had two
> in-person and a phone scheduled for next week.

Yesterday I got a reminder note from the M.I.T. link to eProNet,
suggesting it was a great time to review their job offerings and update
one's resume. Never having had nibble-one from my tries at that resource
(and out of a sense of gallows humor), I logged on (long process to figure
my long unused password ...) and looked for engineering jobs in Georgia
against keywords 'embedded' - nada; 'real-time' - nope; 'software' -
zilch; and finally morbid spirit just 'engineering'. Not one engineering
job listed on their board in GA. Granted it's not an obvious source for GA
recruiting, but _not_one_engineering_job_,_real_or_fictitious_.

It's _very_ cold these days.

 - John Mills