[ale] benchmarking imap and squirrelmail

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu May 2 12:08:08 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:

> David,
>
> Not yet.  I just finished installing late last night and didn't give it a
> try until this morning from work and I don't have any access from here.
> It's very very slow...loading up the preferences page in squirrel mail takes
> about 2-4 minutes.
>
> I was surprised at the slowness as well.  It's possible that there may be
> other processes soaking up memory because I just installed debian potato
> fresh yesterday and it's still got default processes going.

Anytime I have a network service that responds incredibly
slowly, my very first thought is, "Someone in this scenario
is trying to do a DNS lookup or reverse lookup, and
failing; or maybe an identd query is failing."

Just a thought, I know nothing about squirrelmail.

Cheers,

-- Joe
    Any OS distinguishable from Windows is not sufficiently broken.