[ale] Back to the Future!

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Sat Mar 30 15:37:12 EST 2002

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, David S. Jackson wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:02:43AM -0500 John Mills <jmmills at telocity.com> wrote:
> > OK. When I exit, however, I don't seem to have left a bootable kernel or
> > proper MBR in place.
>
> Did you try to install booteasy on the MBR or do you have another
> boot manager?

No - I supposed the choice of something like "install mbr" would be OK,
since I am only installing FreeBSD in the box.

Do I have to install a boot manager?

I bobbled a couple of other installation steps - I'll probably have one or
two more runs at it before I get an installation.

> You can boot from CD-ROM or you can create boot/root floppies,
> then mount the root filesystem.  Remember, the devices are named
> differently under the BSDs, so don't go looking for /dev/hda  :-)

boot and root floppies are in the cooker as I type.

> And partitions are called slices in BSD parlance; remember this
> in your reading of BSD stuff.  Then you also have the disk label
> layer on top of that.

I could see the partition map looked a bit different from my Linux
experience.

> Also, before you start the final kernel loading, you'll hopefully
> get asked if you want to load the kernel.  (It's configurable.)
> Hit <spacebar> and type 'boot -c <return>', then type 'visual
> <return>' after you get the next prompt.  This will give you a
> kernel parameter configuration utility.  Lets you change IRQ
> assignments, check out conflicts, delete superfluous drivers and
> so on.  Save this configuration, once you have it right, and it
> should get remembered next time you boot up.  At least until you
> configure your own custom kernel.

I think I got past that step OK, since net, mouse and video all appeared
to work OK.

Thanks for all the pointers. I'm _sure_ I'll be back for more. If nothing
else, it may amuse the readership. %;-)

 - John Mills