[ale] Back to the Future!

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 12:01:49 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 11:02:43AM -0500 John Mills <jmmills at telocity.com> wrote:
> Installation is a nostalgia blast (I had forgotten the fun of Slackware
> 2.*!), but it seems to go OK - network DHCP, mouse, and X11 seem to go in

Btw, just a personal note here.  I think graphical installers are
sorta like editors and oses:  there are religious feelings about
them.  If I see a graphical installer, my first thought is, "What
are they hiding?"  I like to see kernel messages and such.  But
/stand/sysinstall is far from nostalgia; it's bleeding edge
without widgets.  I for one really prefer the well-thought-out
textual interface to the clicky beeby interfaces of other
installers.

(And hey!  Slackware setup still has a textual interface, doesn't
it?  Please don't tell me that's gone in 8.0?!?! ;0>  )

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net