[ale] Teach yourself classes

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Mar 29 03:01:49 EST 2002

I find this Peer Group Instruction idea very appealing and intiguing.

While there are obvious advantages to learning from experienced
instructors, there are a lot of people whose life situations (schedules,
finances, etc.) can make participating in traditional classroom options
difficult. Not everyone is well suited to the challenges and discipline
of self teaching, either.

>From my own work as a college instructor I know that interaction and

accountablity among classmates are often vital aids to the learning
process. If a peer instructed class is comfortably sized (say, 5 to 10
people) and its participants are committed to the process, I can see how
the group interchange could substitute for an instuctor fairly well.
Given a good textbook to work from, "skill" oriented subjects such as
computer programming would seem especially well suited to the method.

I'd be up for organizing and participating in a Peer Group Instructed
class on most any of the mainstream programming, CGI and scripting
languages. Even if the study subject is something I have experience with,
I'm sure the group dynamics would help me expand and improve on what I
know.

I would second Charles' suggestion of a meeting place like Innovox Lounge
as well. If that ends up the location of choice I can also help with
facility arrangements. There's high speed network access and the meeting
room is quite private, though participants would probably need to kick in
a few dollars "rent" to insure availability on a regular basis.

Anyone else up for a casual 10 week PGI course in C? C++? Java? PHP? Perl?

aaron