[ale] RedHat 7.2 WOL

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Mar 28 06:51:51 EST 2002

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> environment: I have an Asus A7Pro motherboard, Realtek 8139 Lan card with WOL
> connector cable attached to motherboard, and RedHat 7.2. I guess that my
> power supply is sufficient because the LED light in the case (on the
> motherboard) stays lit.
>
> I have downloaded and compiled ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/ether-wake.c
> and also tried
> ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/network/misc/wakelan-1.1.tar.gz
>
> I cannot get my computer to start using Wake On Lan. It is my understanding
> that the LAN card light is supposed to be on when I halt the computer. Is
> that right? There is no light on the LAN card (and the LED on the hub is also
> off) when I use shutdown -h now or poweroff. Does anyone know how  to get
> wake-on-lan working with Linux?

You're right, there is no light on the LAN card when you shutdown and poweroff.

You have to suspend the machine using APM, instead of shutting it down.  I'd suggest using standby mode.  Be sure APM and WOL is enabled in your system's BIOS.

 From the ether-wake help page:
	This program generates and transmits a Wake-On-LAN (WOL) "Magic Packet",
	used for restarting machines that have been soft-powered-down
	(ACPI D3-warm state).

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith