[ale] OT: How fast is your connection, and how much do you pay?

Tyler Kiley tyler at kianta.com
Tue Mar 26 10:08:53 EST 2002

> Oh, ok...  Yes, more and more companies are moving to USB DSL and Cable
> modems - possibly since there is no current support for these in the
> Cable/DSL routers on the market.  With some providers you don't even get a
> choice (they won't *give* you a ethernet based modem)

Dunno about any of you, but BellSouth wouldn't give me a dsl ethernet modem
'til I told them I was using an old laptop w/o usb.  And even then, they
charged me $200 for it (the usb modem would have been free.  Ugh.)

Had to have them come fix a connection problem after a thunderstorm once.....
they wouldn't even look at the problem 'til I disconnected my linux router
and hooked the modem up to a windows box.

But.... other than those two incidents, I couldn't be happier -- I get
1.2mbps+ all day :)

Tyler