[ale] More on Mozilla/Java

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Mar 25 23:17:39 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:56:23PM -0500, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
>
> IT WORKS NOW!!!
>
> Can anyone explain why the plugin is talking to itself on the loopback
> interface? :-)

Perhaps that's how it comminucates with the threads that post events to
the X server.  Who knows.

> Should I bother trying to work out a smaller "hole" in the firewall for
> my lo interface?  It can't really hurt to open it up like this, can it?

Java isn't the only thing that talks over the loopback interface.  It's
used for all sorts of things; and is ocmpletely private to the machine.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344

 PGP signature