[ale] Re: This bites (was Re: [ale] More on Mozilla/Java)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sun Mar 24 23:20:06 EST 2002

A couple of summers ago when I first built the box I'm typing on now, I
ran into a real problem with Red Hat and Gnome - SCSI CD reads would
have these long pauses every few seconds.  I reported it as a bug and
they were real jerks about it, acting very "so what's your problem?"
about it.  I switched to KDE and went on with my life, but for months
afterwards I'd get these automated e-mails every once in a while with
some new comment from someone looking at the problem and it was clear
that the whole thing was just going nowhere.

I guess I feel like Linux will have really arrived when I can deal with
a distro vendor like RH and have it be pretty much like when I'd
occasionally have to call up DEC about something with VMS.  I actually
found a serious security problem once (password mistakes were getting
logged with the mistaken entry) and reported it, but it turned out that
I wasn't the first.  My point, though, is that I could get people on the
phone that took my problem seriously.

- Jeff