[ale] M$ login problems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 23 23:26:43 EST 2002

Hi all,
I am currently schlogging through the indoctrination, I mean, traing
program for the University of Phoenix Online to become ans instructor.
They only use M$ servers. They use "secure password authentication" for
both email and newsgroup. They also use ssl. Is the SPA stuff the
broken/mangled Kerberos? Is this the M$ only process that must be turned
off on the server.

It really gives me the willies having to check "I agree" to all the eula
stuff. Especially when I really don't want to use it and don't agree
with the demands.

My favorite on the IE 5.5 upgrade I was forced to do was the line "agree
to not publish any performance statistics concerning .NET technologies
without prior approval from Microsft".

Oh yeah. I was forced to do an upgrade by the IE 5.0 itself. Shortly
after a reboot and relaunch of IE, it blurb boxed "there is a newer
version! Upgrade now?" As I was busy, I said f*#! off, cancel. Shortly
after that, my OE began using the wrong character encoding scheme on
newsgroup postings. It said it was using iso-8859-1 on everything, but
all replies were not readable. New posts were OK. So I upgraded to IE
5.5 and t he problem went away. (paranoia at 6.5) My desktop was also
"cleaned" for me in the upgrade. The stuff is still there, but most of
it is no longer visible on the desktop. But some of it is.

It almost makes nautilus look stable :)

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>