[ale] monitor signal error

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 23 22:01:17 EST 2002

You will need to reset the default int runlevel to be run level 3
instead of 5.

When it croaks at the error, hit <ctl><alt><F1>. login as root
using your favorite command line editor (vi, emacs, pico...) edit
/etc/inittab from
id:5:initdid:5:

to be:

id:3:initdefault:

you can reboot at this point and it won't try to restart X.

OR you can run "telinit 3" to change the runlevel 3 withoput rebooting
or editing the /etc/inittab file.

Now you can reconfigure X to use your screen. There are seveal ways to
do this:
Xconfigurator
XFree86 -configure

or manually edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I would recommend one of the
other methods :)

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>