[ale] ALE NW meeting was a success,,,, I think

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Mar 23 21:06:15 EST 2002

David S. Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:06:04AM -0500 Geoffrey The Esoteric <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:
>
>>Well, as far as I'm concerned, the first ALE NW meeting was a success,
>>inspite of my lack of planning.  There was some lively discussion
>>regarding zlib double free problems and other esoteric Linux issues.
>>

> I think it was a raving success.  If my wife hadn't been in a
> worrying mood and if I didn't have to get up rather early in the
> morning, I would *love* to have stayed.  (Was it *really* 1 am?)

Yeah it was after 1am, and I had to get up at 5:00am, wimp. :)

> There's something infinitely stimulating about being able to chat
> with others who love blinky lights and spinning propellers.

Too true.  I almost wore my propeller baseball cap to the meeting, but
didn't want to scare the 'newbies' off.

>>We'll be looking at alternating the meetings focus, or split meetings to
>>address these issues.  I personally like the split meetings, that way we
>>get everyone to come to all the meetings.
>>

> If we had a little larger room or a smaller group, we could do
> a "buzz group" mini install over in a corner of the room for the
> newbies.  That would give them the individual attention they need
> where they didn't feel as intimidated by the guys discussing zlib
> doublefree errors.  (I think they got a little lost on that one.
> Hell, I got lost.)

Agreed.  I believe we'll be able to have a 'this is Linux' presentation
at the next meeting.  Greg (runman??) has offered to assist and present.
  Ray was going to talk to V about a presentation he's made on the same.
  Maybe Greg and Vernard can compare notes for a presentation for the
next meeting?  Or is that too soon?

>>Again, let me know if you would like to make a presentation.  There were
>>requests for presentations on the following:
>>
>>cd burning
>>usb
>>
> <snip>
>
> I'd like to see a presentation of text processing.  Perhaps we
> could see some SGML/XML documents, some LaTeX documents, some
> groff documents, and discuss different ways to do our work with
> the type of documents that we use and still be able to share them
> intelligently with the windows-sodden world.
>
> Also, maybe a discussion of X, xdm, window managers, desktop
> environments, X authentication, gnome or kde sessions.  I think
> this stuff causes lots of confusion for newbies who only know a
> graphical interface.

Added to the list. :)

>>Oh yeah, I'll plan on attending every meeting, but don't have any
>>particular need or interest in doing the MC stuff.  Anyone else
>>interested jump up.  I don't mind doing it, I've just got to work at it,
>>and I hate those ackward silences. :)
>>

> You were a natural, Geof.  Honestly.  You took just the right
> amount of control, you yielded at just the right times, you drew
> out terrific feedback from lots of people.  You were congenial,
> authoritative, and an excellent classroom leader.  And even if the
> newbies didn't understand kernel modules, zlib double free
> errors, or init script environment variables, they now know
> there's an entirely different world out there besides windows.
> And that can't help but make them feel a little bit like Chris
> Columbus (or Robinson Carusoe).

Uh, gee, what to say.  Thanks (he says as he falls over from the
increased weight of his swollen head...)

Yeah, I agree with the newbie stuff, and that's why I think the next
meeting should be focused in that direction.

> I was really happy about how approachable and eager to help the
> old timers are.  Seemed like a complete lack of high-maintenance
> egos there, despite their enormous reservoir of knowledge and
> experience.

Yeah, it was good.  We all have egos that pop up now and then.  I've
been fortunate enough to make it to a number of USENIX conferences and
with that, you rub elbows with folks like Ritchie, Korn, Wall and such.
  All have always been approachable to me, but when you hear them spew
knowledge like they do, it's quite ego deflating, in a good way.  I had
to trade my trip to the conference this year for other training... :(

> I can't wait til next time!  :-)

You and me both.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net