[ale] Foolish Perl Question

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Fri Mar 22 14:26:20 EST 2002

I wrote a small perl script to clean up some output from another
application.  This data is then imported into a SQL database.

One of the most tedious ascpect is trying to filter out all of the
"font" markers in the format of [font color = blue], [font color = red]
, etc.

What I would like to do is come up with something that allows a
wildcard.  For example, right now:

$line[7] =~ s/\[font color \=red\]//g;

will strip out all of the "[font color = red]"

What I would like to do is identify anything that starts with "[font" ,
and strip everything until the next "]".  So, if the character "*" did
that, it would look something like:

$line[7]=~s/\[font*]//g;

Any ideas?

Regards - Bob Kruger