[ale] Woody and XFree 4.x confusion

David S. Jackson deepbsd at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 19:00:06 EST 2002

Hi,

I just downloaded Woody for a freshinstall on a k6-3 350 with a
STB Velocity 128 (Riva 128) 8mb video card.

After thrashing around trying to get XF 4.1.0 to go, I gave
up and tried going back to XF86 3.x.  But this Debian uses a
Xwrapper program so you don't have to run a suid X server.

I apt-cache searched for xwrapper and came up empty.  Can you
even run this with xf86 3.x, or is this a 4.x only thing?

If it can be used with 3.x, what package does it appear in?

Also, how is X set up in Woody?  What document explains how all
the x files are labeled to support both 3.x and 4.1.0?  I get
complaints of "no screens found", which probably means the
modelines are wrong.  But they xf86config (for 4.1) created the
modlines according to my horiz and vert freqs I guess.  So they
should work.  Color depth and resolution specs were conservative
for the card.  So why should X not like the screens or modelines?
Is this a problem with other new Woody users too?

Is anyone else having a bunch of problems with 4.1.0?  Does the
.0 symbolize this build is pretty bleeding edge and untested?

Why doesn't xf86setup work anymore?  I get a bunch of errors that
say it can't find drivers for a list of cards that don't apply to
my system.  Is this program undergoing severe modifications or
something?  That's what I've always used to configure X with.

Until I learn some of this stuff, I'm going to keep using 3.3.6a
I think.  (Still gotta figure out the xwrapper stuff tho.)

Haven't done much Debian in a while, and they have gone and
changed a bunch of stuff while I wasn't looking!  :-\

TIA!

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net