[ale] VIA KT266A

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 20 13:13:01 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 13:13, Bradley Glonka wrote:
> I'm almost settled on a the Asus A7V266-E.  Has anyone had good or bad
> experience with this?

I've got one or two of these. Very nice boards.

> What the heck is an ACR slot?  Is this for a winmodem?
this is the slot used for the windmodem. Don't bother with it at all.
There is currently no drivers support for this windmodem.

> Has anyone tried the IDE raid with success?
Doesn't appear to work under linux worth a crap. If you want hardware
raid, stick to the 3ware products that have been discussed in detail on
this list recently. you can find those threads in the ALE archives.

> How about the integrated audio?  I typically don't buy boards with onboard
> audio but what the heck.  I'll save a few bucks.  This board includes a
> C-Media CMI-8738.

Appears to work fine. I seem to recall that ALSA supports it pretty well
and maybe better than the built in stuff.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) Darkness has a hunger thats
insatiable
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/     Lightness has a call thats hard
to hear