[ale] From Latticesemi

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Mar 19 07:29:13 EST 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Chances are, the internal modem is a Winmodem. It has very little chance
> of actually working under Linux. Winmodems are not real modems. They use
> a driver program in Windows to basically create a streaming midi file
> from the digital data that should be going to a digital to analog
> converter on a real modem. Winmodems are popular because they are cheap!
> I've seen them for as little as $20.
>
> The best solution is to buy a real modem. External modems cost more, but
> they can be reset without rebooting the entire machine. If you look for
> an internal one, look for a modem that will work with DOS or WindowsNT.
> Neither of thos OSs support winmodems.

Another sure indicator is that winmodems 'usually' will list minimum
requires around a pentium 133 or better.  I say usually, because most
real modems don't list any minimum (since they'll work with 286s and
up), but the fact that it doesn't list any minimum req. is no
guarantee..  Point is, you could purchase a modem that is a winmodem
based on that lack of the minimum requirements being noted.

Getting an external is the best bet, as far as I know, there's no such
thing as an external winmodem.  Please folks correct me if I'm wrong.
(did I really need to say that :) )

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net