[ale] Non-Microsoft Document formats

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Mar 19 07:24:00 EST 2002

It is still a Microsoft format, as they offered it as a standard (then
dropped it when everyone adopted it), but RTF works OK for the vast
majority of text stuff. I don't think it supports embedded objects like
graphics and spreadsheets, but I'm not sure.

Lately, I have been submitting resumes in PDF format. It displays
properly on all platforms. It does, however, stymie the people who want
it in .doc format so they can import it into something else easily. I
can give them an ascii text version with no formatting other than line
breaks.

The big thing to be wary of is if you wrote it using vi(m) or emacs or
some other editor than support automatic line wrapping. If your teacher
gets a file that is 3 or 4 looooong lines, it might not be very
appreciated :)

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>