[ale] regex question?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Sun Mar 17 08:31:55 EST 2002

[... egrep examples elided ... ]

    Joseph> How interesting. Is this behavior possibly different in
    Joseph> Gnu grep vs other greps?

        Perl's regexen are this way, and checking the man for a GNU
grep shows:

       Repetition takes precedence over concatenation,  which  in
       turn  takes  precedence  over alternation.  A whole subex-
       pression may be enclosed in parentheses to override  these
       precedence rules.

        So `|' is the lowest precedence, '*' et al are the highest
precedence (bind more tightly).

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=