[ale] XF86 on Debian

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Sat Mar 16 21:00:52 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 06:27:43PM -0600, Arafat Mohamed wrote:
> All other files seem to be there, but the actual command startx isn't :( I
> tried a locate startx with no results.
> The funny thing is, I was in X when I did the apt-get bbkeys. I stayed in X
> for a while doing other stuff. I then exited X. When I tried to restart
> that's when I got this problem :(

check that you didn't remove xbase-clients for some weird
reason. That's the package that includes startx.

(ie, dpkg -l xbase-clients)

Also..didn't you say something about changing /etc/apt/sources.list to
get bbkeys?

> "so I pointed my sources to testing and downloaded bbkeys"

If you went from stable to testing, did you update, and dist-upgrade?
Or do you have an apt/preferences file with testing at a lower
priority? I run a couple of Debian boxes where I mix testing and
unstable, via the preferences file (it's mostly testing, but occasional
packages pulled directly out of unstable). I've had few problems with
that, but trying to do the same with stable and testing may be
problematic. A lot has changed.

I don't see anything specific in the bbkeys bug list that jumps out as
your problem, either. Hmm...

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature