[ale] XF86 on Debian

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sat Mar 16 19:01:50 EST 2002

Arafat Mohamed wrote:
> I had X running fine with blackbox. I then decided that I couldn't live
> without bbkeys, so I pointed my sources to testing and downloaded bbkeys.
> Now when I try startx I get a command not found.
>
> Anyone know what I might have broken and how to fix it?

First important question is: is it "startx" that is not found, or something called by startx?

If you see something like this:

keithh at hera:~> startx
bash: startx: command not found
------^^^^^^ What does it say right here?

If "startx" really is missing, check to see if it is still on your system, or whether you have clobbered the file, the file permissions or your PATH.

startx should be here, and have these permissions:
keithh at hera:~> ll /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5323 Sep 24 04:11 /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

Often, symbolic links also exist at /usr/bin/X11/startx and /usr/X11/bin/startx.

If the command that is not found is NOT "startx", what is it?

You might gain some insight by running "sh -x startx"

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith