[ale] VNC over SSH2

sangell at nan.net sangell at nan.net
Fri Mar 15 08:02:56 EST 2002

ssh2 8080:192.168.0.4:5800 sangell at mydynamicdns.dyndns.org

I am using 1024 bit RSA key for tunnel and 1024 bit DSA key authentication
(if memory serves)

Once SSH connects I open web browser and point to http://localhost:8080

I get the Authentication page so VNC and SSH are working but the
authentication fails.

I have read the FAQ at VNC website, but not a lot of detail, I also have
O'Reilly SSH The Secure Shell but it only has a single paragraph about VNC
Forwarding.

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\_    Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA           _/
\_    MIS Operations Manager               _/
\_    TSYS Debt Management             _/
\_    Norcross, GA                                   _/
\_    Phone 770-409-5570                    _/
\_    Fax      770-416-1752                   _/

                    kkennedy at kenzo
                    id.com (Ken          To:     ale at ale.org
                    Kennedy)             cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [ale] VNC over SSH2
                    03/14/2002
                    09:40 PM
                    Please respond
                    to kenzoid

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:48:53PM -0500, sangell at nan.net wrote:

> Okay, I have VNC working and have SSH2 working. If I try to connect to a
PC
> via Web Browser on LAN VNC works perfectly. If I try over SSH2 I get the
> logon screen but authentication fails. I have SSH forwarding ports 580x
and
> 590x and as I said the login for VNC comes thru but authentication fails.
> am thinking it may have something to do with the encryption but it sould
be
> unencrypted again by the time it reaches the VNC host machine. Any
> thoughts?

Hmmm. I do this almost every day, w/o problems, so I know it
works. Never had this particular problem. You're connecting vnc to
your localhost port, correct? Have you reviewed the FAQ for VNC over
SSH (I'm guessing yes, but it never hurts to ask...):

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

What params are you giving ssh when you make the connection (to forward
the ports)?

--

Ken Kennedy          | http://www.kenzoid.com            | kenzoid at io.com
(See attached file: attud7nv.dat)