[ale] VNC over SSH2

Ken Kennedy kkennedy at kenzoid.com
Thu Mar 14 21:40:19 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:48:53PM -0500, sangell at nan.net wrote:

> Okay, I have VNC working and have SSH2 working. If I try to connect to a PC
> via Web Browser on LAN VNC works perfectly. If I try over SSH2 I get the
> logon screen but authentication fails. I have SSH forwarding ports 580x and
> 590x and as I said the login for VNC comes thru but authentication fails. I
> am thinking it may have something to do with the encryption but it sould be
> unencrypted again by the time it reaches the VNC host machine. Any
> thoughts?

Hmmm. I do this almost every day, w/o problems, so I know it
works. Never had this particular problem. You're connecting vnc to
your localhost port, correct? Have you reviewed the FAQ for VNC over
SSH (I'm guessing yes, but it never hurts to ask...):

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

What params are you giving ssh when you make the connection (to forward
the ports)?

Ken Kennedy	| http://www.kenzoid.com	| kenzoid at io.com

 PGP signature