[ale] Gigabyte MoBo RAID and RH-7.2

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Mar 14 10:06:57 EST 2002

ALErs -

Thanks to Michael, Pizza, Jeff, and Keith for your comments. I plan to
just install the drives in a simple IDE configuration (perhaps with each
as master on its respective controller, to pretend I _might_ do S/W RAID).

We had recommended buying HDDs with larger on-board cache, and no
RAID. Naturally that recommendation was ignored by the tech who got the
pieces and set up the box.

I would like comments on a broader question:

We are setting up a "Linux build machine" to build our set of applications
for our product. It will live on our LAN and serve SSH for remote
activity. Primarily I see the build activities as:

1) Extract the sources from configuration management (probably CVS)

2) Preprocess the extracted tree to set up our builds (scripts to convert
   from DOS text to *nix, create Makefiles [from *.dsp files], move
   stuff,...)

3) Run 'g++' compilation down the processed tree, using the Makefiles

4) [Ultimately] configure the installation tree from stock supporting
   files, generated files, and the build results.

MsWin developers will use this (for Linux builds), as well as *nix folks,
so it would be nice to export some IDE/build GUI tools to WinNT/2K boxen
on the same net.

What sort of a hardware base would be good for that type of work? What
might I suggest for the MsWinish IDE? (I use Source-Navigator and 'emacs'
in Linux, and my colleague primarily uses 'vi' and a console window.)

What kind of overhead are we talking to use VNC to offer MsWin users a GUI
tools?

Thanks for experience and comments.

 - John Mills