[ale] M$ mail server grousing

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 14 09:20:52 EST 2002

I have a teaching position (University of Phoenix Online) that uses M$
Exchange servers for email and newsgroups. I have found that what is
called ssl secure login on windows is not ssl on Linux. The logins are
denied if I turn off ssl, which is good. No unencrypted logins are good.
But when I use ssl, I get an unresponsive server error. I've tried
access the imap mail using evolution, Mozilla, and netscape with "secure
connection".

Does accessing mail from an Exchange server _require_ a Microsoft
environment? Or is there a configuration problem on my end that I can
tweak to get it? Or is i a server config issue? I would really prefer to
stick to my Linux tools.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>